Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Is the Internet destroying politics?

I'm a political junkie. My father was involved in regional politics when I was a kid, and I just grew to love it. I'm my father's son, I guess. But my interest in politics has always been from the sidelines for the most part. It wasn't until Bush became our President, (the son, not the father), that I became somewhat more active. I participated in protests against the PATRIOT Act, and the Iraq war before it started. I became a Dean follower in 2004. And that's when I started having this feeling of hopelessness that turned into despair when Kerry won the nomination, and lost his bid for the White House.

I didn't watch the news again until 2006.

This year, I've noticed a similar scenario playing out. I am excited and invigorated by a few candidates that I feel actually want to change our political system for the better. For the Democrats I'm hoping for Barack Obama to win. But for a favored candidate, I'm eying Ron Paul.

The changes Paul wants to make to our Federal Government are so extreme, that I find myself in awe that I am considering supporting him. And as a democrat it's strange to think about supporting a Republican. But for me, at least until Obama beats Hillary, I have no other choice. I will not vote for Hillary Clinton. Period. So I split my support, and my money, between Paul and Obama.

But this is what worries me. Not about Ron Paul, but about internet supporters like me for any of the candidates. I'm excited because Paul is saying what we want to hear, and what we know needs to be done to our government--at least to some extent. But as we all know deep in our hearts, his chances of winning the nomination are slim to none--which, some say, is why he's willing to say the things he says. But with his failure grows our despair. Undoubtedly a candidate we cannot support will win the nomination. A candidate that doesn't see the dread and despair of the population with politics as usual. For me, that candidate is Hillary.

So I lose faith in politics. As I'm sure thousands of others will as well. It's our own fault. I'm to blame as well. For as much as I support a candidate on the internet, and through my small $25 donations, it doesn't translate into "real world" success. I don't know why, or how even to change that. In the meantime, I lose, my candidate loses, and our country loses.

No comments: