Monday, March 3, 2008

Family Values Politics

I was reading the GL Times (a local gay/lesbian rag), and this week's main theme is gays and religion. There was a news story about a case in the California courts on gay marriage, and whether its a legal issue or a voting issue. It's in the courts right now, and they're set to decide it in a few months. Anyway a "family-friendly" group is trying to get a ballot measure in the upcoming election banning same-sex marriage. I have a feeling, like abortion, this is an issue that will never die.

So I was thinking about what to do if I see one of these people out gathering signatures for their ballot initiative. And this is what I've come up with. If someone asks to sign this initiative, I'll first ask them what it's about. Then they'll tell me something about how marriage is an institution for a man and woman only. They'll ramble on about how children need a healthy family consisting of both a mother and a father. And that's when I'll stop them and say this:

"Wait.. If heterosexual families are so healthy, why do 99.9% of all gays and lesbians come from heterosexual families?"

I figure that they'll respond by saying something either about homosexuality being a choice, or that the families these homosexuals grew up in weren't healthy, maybe having only a single parent. And then I'll ask them:

"So what you're saying is that heterosexual families aren't all that healthy either? Or that single-parent families aren't a good environment to raise kids in? So maybe the ballot initiative you should be supporting is to take kids away from non-healthy families, or single-parents, of course determined by our government?"

We'll see how they respond to that one.... lol

1 comment: